What is SEMS?
SEMS is an acronym that stands for Safety Environmental Management System and is a sweeping requirement that was put into place on November 15, 2011 for the Offshore Oil and Gas industry. Comprised of thirteen key elements, SEMS has fundamentally changed the landscape offshore. The thirteen elements of SEMS are:
- General provisions
- Safety and environmental information
- Hazards analysis
- Management of change
- Operating procedures
- Safe work practices
- Mechanical integrity
- Pre-startup review
- Emergency response and control
- Investigation of incidents
- Records and documentation
What is SEMS II?
SEMS II, also known as the Workplace Safety Rule, is an enhancement to the original SEMS. SEMS II expands, revises, and adds additional safety requirements not covered in previous regulations including:
- Stop work authority
- Ultimate work authority
- Employee participation plan
- Guidelines for reporting unsafe working conditions
- Additional requirements for conducting a job safety analysis (JSA)
- Elements of American Petroleum Institute’s (API) Recommended Practice 75 (RP 75) are now mandatory
SEMS and SEMS II Awareness Training for Offshore Oilfield Employees
PEC Safety has the most widely used SEMS and SEMS II awareness training program. Working in partnership with
Moxie Media, PEC Safety has developed a program in SEMS
and SEMS II for contractor personnel who work offshore.
This program has the ability to be tracked and verified through
PEC Safety’s Training Tracker.
SEMS Workshops for Contractors
PEC is offering one-day workshops to help contractors meet their customer’s SEMS requirements. The workshops provide:
- A commonsense guide to meeting different Operators’ SEMS needs.
- A nuts-and-bolts understanding of SEMS for:
- HSE/Training professionals
- Sales Staff
- Administrative Staff
SEMS Awareness Training is Now a Part of SafeGulf!
All new SafeGulf classes offered through PEC-approved instructors now include SEMS Awareness Training.
Schedule a Workshop
If you would like to schedule a workshop for your company, please contact Pete Eustis at email@example.com or call 800.892.8179.