What is SafeGulf?
SafeGulf is a volunteer organization comprised of major and independent operating companies, industry associations, and educators with the purpose of developing a standardized orientation which sets minimum requirements for the US Offshore E&P Industry.
In the Oil and Gas Industry, operators share a common contractor workforce. After years of requiring contractors to complete very similar but separate safety orientations for each operator, a group of operators came together to create a standard safety orientation that would be accepted by each of them, thus saving time and resources. By 2004, SafeGulf was developed, agreed upon, and ready for implementation by the SafeGulf Advisory Group (SGAG).
Why Participate in SafeGulf?
- Orientation designed specifically for the US Offshore E&P Industry
- Consistent EH&S orientation which is industry recognized and widely accepted
- Orientation remains with employee throughout career
- Quality assurance through an audit program and oversight committee
- Eliminates redundancy of multiple orientations
- Ease of access to acquire orientation
Offshore Oil & Gas contractors (100 Employees or Less)
Offshore oil & gas contractors with 100 employees or less that do not use SafeGulf have a 236% higher Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) on average versus contractors of the same size that do use SafeGulf.
All Offshore Oil & Gas Contractor
Offshore oil & gas contractors that do not use SafeGulf have a 150% higher TRIR on average versus contractors that do use SafeGulf.
PEC Safety’s Role
PEC Safety is one of three accrediting organizations involved in SafeGulf. Our Basic Orientation (8 hour) and Core Compliance (24 hour) were the first courses in the industry to be accredited by SafeGulf. Students that received SafeGulf through PEC Safety have their records validated and entered into PEC’s Training Tracker. Students, employees, and customers can verify an individual’s SafeGulf status through our free service, PECCard.com.
Acquiring SafeGulf Through PEC Safety
PEC Safety Offers Three Ways to Acquire SafeGulf
- Find a PEC authorized trainer in your area: PEC has hundreds of authorized professional trainers around the country that can supply your company with SafeGulf. To find a trainer in your area, simply go to www.pecsafety.com/map and select your state. All PEC authorized trainers and facilities are audited to make sure they meet PEC’s and SafeGulf requirements and all training is consistent across the country.
- Become an authorized PEC trainer: For companies that have an in house trainer, PEC offers a train the trainer in our PEC Basic (8 hour) and PEC Core Compliance (24 hour). Both courses are accredited by SafeGulf. This option allows you to train on your schedule and at your own facility. For more information about PEC’s Train the Trainer, visit www.pecsafety.com/become-a-trainer.
- Have your in-house safety orientation accredited: As an accrediting organization, PEC has the ability to accredit your existing safety orientation as SafeGulf.