Faced with a hard deadline to meet new federal requirements for Safety and Environmental Management Systems ( SEMS) plans, offshore oil and gas companies are searching for effective ways to evaluate contractor safety practices and training. Increasingly they are turning to PEC Premier to help meet their needs. Since January nine companies have signed on to use the PEC system.
One of the drivers is a new regulation from the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE), oil and gas leaseholder have until November 15th to have SEMS plans up and running for all of their offshore facilities. In order to do that, they will need to:
- Evaluate the safety records and safe work practices for almost all of their contractors that work offshore
- Make sure contractor personnel are trained to work safely, meet environmental requirements and have the skills and knowledge to perform their assigned duties.
- Keep accurate records and documents to prove they are in compliance
- Audit their SEMS plans and provide the results to BOEMRE.
PEC Premier offers a range of services that help operators meet those requirements, including:
- The Standardized Safety Questionnaire, which gives oil and gas companies a clear picture of the contractor’s safety performance and overall approach to safety.
- The Contractor Assistance Program, which helps contractors gauge their safety performance, document and track their personnel training and provide their crews with accurate, up-to-date material for safety meetings.
- Skills and knowledge tracking, which allows operators to evaluate the path to competency for offshore personnel and to make sure they are able to do their jobs safely and effectively.
- Safety Training Curriculum, which meets both offshore SafeGulf and on land SafeLandUSA requirements. The PEC training is provided by a network of 1,100 approved instructors around the country.
PEC is actively involved in industry groups that are developing standardized approaches to SEMS and, based on those approaches, PEC is rolling out with a number of new services that specifically meet the new requirements under SEMS.
For additional information contact Ken Wells, PEC Director of Special Projects, at (800) 892-8179 or email at Ken@pecpremier.com.
PEC Premier is the pioneer in meeting the needs of the oil and gas industry in the areas of online contractor safety evaluation and safety questionnaires, safety training and assistance to contractors in improving their safety performance.